Higher Ed is moving to Drupal in a big way! Many universities are even standardizing on Drupal, and using it build all their new sites.
It's a great fit, solving many of the common problems that universities and colleges have worldwide, including: easy access control, editorial workflows, accessibility, brand consistency and lower costs compared to non-Open Source platforms.
Using a single platform for multiple sites, whatever it is, allows you to gain a number of efficiencies:
- Standard tools, techniques, and configurations
- Shared knowledge in the organization (training creating content on one site will transfer to another site)
But if you're using Drupal for more than a couple sites at your organization, and you don't have a custom Drupal distribution, then YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!
Creating a Drupal distribution will allow you to:
- Launch a new site in seconds (instead of minutes or hours), with your standard branding and the all the base functionality you want on every site
- Reduce the cost of maintaining shared functionality on many sites, by allowing you to update the distribution and quickly deploy the same changes to all your sites
- Easily apply security updates
- Share the cost of developing new features that will benefit many campus sites
Read more to learn how many institutions of higher education are creating Drupal distributions to increase efficiency and reduce costs when maintaining lots and lots of Drupal sites!